Damage caused by flood water is one of the biggest headaches that a homeowner might have to deal with, and if the repair job is not done properly, the headache can be endless. This is why you should really consider hiring an orange county water damage company. This article seeks to give you some guidelines on how to minimize the damage and return to normalcy as quickly as possible.
The liquid involved in the damage can be classified into three categories;
Clean liquid coming from a sanitary source such as drinking fountains, faucets, and toilet tanks falls under this category. If not addressed quickly category one can easily degenerate into category two.
This is water that has a level of contamination that, if ingested, may cause discomfort or illness. Examples include dishwasher overflows, water from sink drains and washing machine overflow.
This category is grossly unsanitary and is the worst classification. If ingested, it can cause serious illness or even death. Sewer backup, toilet overflow (with feces), stagnant liquid with bacteria and flooding from rivers fall under this category.
Steps to take in case of home water damage:
- Clear your mind by remaining calm.
- Shut the main source of water to stop the flooding.
- Shut down any source of electricity and remove electrical devices from the flooded area.
- Protect the legs of any furniture in contact with the water with nylon paper or aluminum foil to avoid permanent staining.
- Remove fabrics, books, papers, shoes or any other item that may stain the wet carpet.
- Lift curtains and any draperies from the water.
- Call emergency services.
Avoid the following in case of home water damage:
- Using the house vacuum as this can result in electrical shock or damage to the appliance.
- Placing newspapers in walking areas can lead to the newspaper ink spreading to the wet carpet and thus permanent staining.
- Walking on the carpet too much can lead to the damage spreading even further to unaffected areas.
A building that has been damaged by water requires special attention to avoid a mold explosion. If not attended to, mold can lead to damage of property in addition to numerous health risks.
Preventing mold growth
- Remove any wet insulation straight away. Items like wallboards even when they appear to be dry can stay wet for a long time leading to unhealthy hidden mold.
- Do not reuse any flooded padding.
- Use professional cleaners to clean and dry the salvaged carpets.
- Use non-phosphate detergents to clean up- phosphate residue is food for bacteria and should be avoided.
- By any means necessary, quicken the drying up of slabs, subfloors and wall framing. Dehumidifying blowers can help quicken the drying.
- Avoid the use of vinyl wallpaper, hardboard paneling or any interior finishes that might prevent drying on the inside.
It is important to stay on the look-out for signs of new mold growing even after the clean-up. Should mold return repeat cleaning and consider the use of drying equipment?
From a broken pipe to excess rain, flooding can wreak massive havoc on your home and property. Although it happens mostly when you least expect it, response time is critical. Water removal has to happen quickly if you are to minimize the damage.